Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Captain Marvel, Volume 2: Down (Marvel NOW!)


Captain Marvel (2012-2014) #TP Vol 2


 

First I want to say that I love the cover- especially the title and how the background makes it look like the Doctor Who logo from the Peter Davison years. It’s classic and every time I look at it; I get taken back to when I was a kid watching those old episodes of Doctor Who in my Grandmama’s basement. Awesome, awesome cover- I love it!

 

Now on to the meat and potatoes of the book. The first story arc has Carol Danvers in New Orleans, having been summoned by the only other woman to bear the mantle of the Captain. There, the two heroes bicker, meet a blast from their past and investigate a series of missing fishing vessels in the Gulf of Mexico.

 

Once back in New York, Danvers learns that she’s got a lesion on her brain and that continued use of her powers of flight could be dangerous should she blackout. Now, I am thinking, using her powers in general might be a bad idea because brain things are serious business. But instead of seeking a second opinion, Danvers focuses on her “Do Not Fly” status and searches for ways to skirt the issue, including souping up a flying motorcycle of Captain America’s.

 

Along the way, Danvers battles an old foe and may be responsible for giving an enemy of the former Kree Captain Marvel a new lease on life. Before the end of the book we learn that Carol isn’t the only person to have been diagnosed with these bizarre legions. Her mentor, Helen Cobb, who tried to steal her powers in volume one, also showed these symptoms and might have died from them.

 

To Be Continued…

 

Up next is the Avengers book that I wanted to read in the first place. It includes 3 issues of Captain Marvel along with some other material. I look forward to reading it, starting tomorrow. If it’s anything like this issue, I am truly in for a treat. With a great storyline, a fantastic cameo from one of my personal favorite characters, Dakota North, and amazing cover and interior art, I am becoming a fan. Don’t blow it Marvel Comics!!!

 

Until then, make mine Captain Marvel.

 

Worth Consuming.

 

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment