Sunday, March 2, 2014

“Blackout” by Mira Grant, Book III of the Newsflesh Trilogy





 

The Newsflesh Trilogy comes to a close and I think I’m in love with a new favorite writer. Book II wasn’t as good as Book I; not because it was a sequel but because I thought that the character of Shaun was a weaker narrator than his sister George. In this book we’ve got the best of both worlds as Shaun is attempting to break into the declared disaster zone of Florida to retrieve some biological samples (and to rescue the baby sister of one of his fellow bloggers) and George returns!

 

(Do not read any further if you don’t want spoilers)

 

Georgia Mason has been cloned by the CDC in hopes of somehow wrangling Shaun in. After the events of the last book, Shaun and his news team went rogue. So, the CDC hopes to shut him and his website up by using a clone of his sister. Whether this clone will be used peaceful or as an assassin is unknown as this clone of George that narrates alternating chapters with Shaun, is a test model and will be incinerated once a more perfect clone is completed in another lab.

 

As Shaun seeks to finally blow the lid off the global conspiracy involving the truth behind the zombie virus, George and some undercover scientists hope to escape the clutches of the CDC and reach Shaun’s team before it’s too late. When the questions behind the scope and scale of the government’s plans to prevent the Zombie virus from ever being cured are finally ready to be answered, the Mason siblings will travel from one corner of the US to the other and may even obtain a much desired interview with the President.

 

I really enjoyed this volume. Along with the final chapter, Mire Grant includes some extra “content” at the end that shines light on the origins of the two harmless viruses that later merge into the super-killer that is commonly referred to as “Kellis-Amberlee.” Now, there’s also a blub about an “eBook only” novella that pertains to the Newflesh Trilogy. I don’t know if it includes the origin chapter I read in this book or is something different.

 

I’m very interested in getting that novella, but I don’t have a Kindle or other eBook device. Actually, I am anti-eBook period. I believe that the good Lord wanted everyone to read their books in print/ paper form. I’m old school. I know many who read strictly eBooks and a couple of writers/ artists who use the eBook medium to publish their own material. I guess I’m one of them using my Blogger account to post my reading journal. (However, I have Carpal Tunnel and writing hurts more than typing does, and I like typing.) But, there’s just nothing like holding a book in your hands while snuggled up in a recliner with 2 cats in your lap.

 

  Anyway, if anybody knows Mira Grant and can find a way to get her to send me a manuscript of her novella- I’d be eternally grateful.

 

   I hate to see this series end. Yet, I know that Grant is working on another medical conspiracy type trilogy as I write this review. I think one book is out already. I hope to get my hands on those books very soon too! Like I said earlier, I’ve got a new favorite writer and for someone who’s a strictly comic book only type of guy that speaks volumes.

 

A fantastic read.

 


Worth Consuming.

 

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment