Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Hopster’s Tracks #2



 

Yesterday I commented on why I didn’t understand how come Hopster’s Tracks didn’t take off. I thought it was a very clever and funny comic. Well, in issue #2, I got my answer. In a letter to her fans, creator Stephanie Gladdin commented that issue #2 was delayed being published for several months. I believe marketing and the covering of publication costs were the biggest reason for the delay. No matter what the excuses are, if you are trying to start up a new monthly comic, you’ve got to stick to your release dates or else interest in your new title is going to dry up pretty quick. Readers will lose interest and go on to the next best thing. Vendors and comic books shops will cancel subscriptions as there isn’t any product available and even worse- there isn’t any interest in the title anymore.

 

Again, I think it’s a shame that Hopster’s Tracks couldn’t find a rhythm. But upon reading the story in this issue, I came to another conclusion as to why this book didn’t take off. In issue 2- the kangaroo and wolf couple buy a car that turns out to be a lemon. When the car dealer refuses a refund, the wolf character decides to boycott the dealership. The name of the salesman? Hopster!

 

In other words, the character for who the comic book is named for is A) not even in the first issue and B) not even a major character. I can understand why readers would be turned off from the series because the title doesn’t match with the book. I wondered all throughout the first issue “why this is titled ‘Hopster’s Tracks’?” I never got an answer until this issue.

 

Sadly, this is a book that had great potential and it was squandered. The artist/ writer was very talented. But she failed to connect the reader to the book’s premise. I’m assuming that the salesman Hopster is also like the founder of the town or an ancestor. Also, Bongo Comics apparently gave more attention to their lucrative Simpsons properties and neglected to follow through in publishing this series on a consistent basis.

 

Talk about missing out on opportunities and wasting a promising talent like Gladdin and her colorful cast of characters.

 

Rating: 6 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment