Sunday, April 6, 2014

Marvel Assistant-Sized Spectacular #2 of 2

Marvel Assistant-Sized Spectacular (2009) #2


In the second issue, it’s time for the ladies of Marvel to step up to the plate. The assistant editors at Marvel hit us with a spooky tale starring Elise Bloodstone that manages some laughs. Then we get a glimpse at the life of the daughter of the planet eater Galactus. In her first ever appearance, the anti-hero is named Galacta. Her tale is part Archie Comics, part Grey’s Anatomy. I didn’t like it. To finish out the issue, we’ve got Luke Cage assisted by his wife Jessica, running for “president” of his neighborhood. Sadly, this was the best story of the bunch filled with lots of action and tons of laughs.


What made this issue not as superior to the first issue wasn’t so much the choice of material but the added story line of Doctor Doom trying to prevent these assistant editors from ever leaving their bathroom sanctuary. I guess the powers that be thought this miniseries needed some sort of climatic tie-in from the first issue to the second. But it really wasn’t needed.


Though I was as satisfied with issue #2, I did like the concept very much. I think it is a crying shame that the House of Ideas didn’t follow through and produce companion pieces every year following. I think the Assistant Editors Month exercise was a great way to foster new talent through the Marvel Bull Pen. I was glad to see it revived. I was disappointed to learn it’s not been implemented since.


Worth Consuming.


Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.











No comments:

Post a Comment