Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Marvel 1602: Fantastick Four #1


Marvel 1602: Fantastick Four (2006-2007) #1

 

This mini-series takes place after the events of 1602 and its sequel 1602: The New World. Whether this all takes place before, during, or after Spider-man 1602 is beyond me. I’ve not read that series yet even though it’s a part of my collection.  

 

In this opening act the crews of the explorer ship Fantastick have gone their separate ways. Reed Richards and his lady fair, Susan are living in a cottage awaiting the birth of their first child. Jon Storm has become a drunk while Mr. Grimm has joined the acting troupe of the Bard, William Shakespeare, acting under heavy make-up. But when Victor Von Doom sends an aerial army to kidnap the acclaimed playwright, the estranged friends must re-team to both save the day and end Doom’s reign of tyranny once and for all.

 

I’ve really enjoyed this first issue. The Frightful Four are introduced into the 1602 universe as are a host of minor characters that pepper the Big Apple in the pages of Marvel Comics. I’ve never seen Reed Richards so focused and ready to take down Doom. It’s as if the fear that Doom will never stop hunting the Fantastick Four and thus Reed’s unborn child is endangered as well. It’s a shame he never acting like this when the Invisible Woman was pregnant with Franklin in the 70s.

 

I kinda like this vengeful Mr. Fantastick.

 

With some fantastic art and a very entertaining first chapter, I am very much looking forward to the rest of this series. I hope I will not be disappointed.

 

Worth Consuming.

 

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment