Sunday, April 6, 2014

The A-Team #1


A-Team (1984) #1B
Good Ole Mr. T (center) pitying the fool who don't buy this comic.
This is the very first comic book based on the hit action series from the 1980s. Only 3 issues were published by Marvel and I remember for the longest time it was easy to find these issues at Tons O’ Toys in grab bags. I think you got 3 books for a dollar and in almost every pack, one of these 3 issues were in the grab bags. So, it wasn’t hard to collect the whole set. I’m not sure why the book didn’t take off. I mean I know that poor sales had something to do with it. But,  from what I’ve read (having already read issues #2 and 3 weeks ago before finding this issues in a dollar box) the series was pretty good.

The art was pure caricature. Yet, I am sure a lot of that probably had to do with licensing. I’ve heard that Mr. T demanded a share of anything produced that bared his likeness  in regards to the A-Team show. Since Mr. T was the star of the show, he probably raked it millions and knowing  Marvel they didn’t want to pony up too much in licensing fees.

In terms of the stories themselves, they’re pretty good. All three stories capture the characters very well and the action is good. It might even be too good since it’s easier to draw things blowing up than doing for real in front of the cameras. This issue has B.A. going back to his old neighborhood where he catches up with an old friend. Later, we discover that this childhood pal might be involved in some dirty dealings with a crooked diamond dealer out to ruin a legitimate business.

The story was full of lots of twists and turns and humor. But, I gotta ask- if you are on the run from the feds for escaping a military prison, why on earth would you go back to your home town and plan a meeting with an old chum? Wouldn’t the feds be staking out all known and perceived acquaintances? (Spoiler coming) We later find out this buddy of B.A.’s is really an undercover FBI agent, so why didn’t he turn the A-Team in? Does every G-man who befriends a known felon from their grade school automatically have to keep quiet about their whereabouts? I t just doesn’t make sense and this happens all the time in movies and TV!

That plot point is the only thing I didn’t like about this comic and is perhaps the only thing I disliked about the whole series. Sorry to rant there but things like that really irk me. You might feel differently, but I pity the fool who disagrees.

Worth Consuming.

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment