Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Hopster’s Tracks #1


This funny animal series was published by Bongo Comics. This short-lived series, the brainchild of one Stephanie Gladdin, is a surprise to me as I didn’t think Bongo published anything except Simpsons and Futurama titles. In Hopster’s Tracks the main characters are a spunky kangaroo, her greaser boyfriend- a wolf, and an adorable little otter? Not really sure what he is and I’m not sure if he’s the child of the couple or adopted, but he’s cute and has some great lines.

In this issue, the trio help out the fledging gas station of a friend. Faced to close up show thanks to the new bypass, the main characters look to spruce up the store by building a tourist attraction beside it. But when the business is turned into a giant dinosaur, that breathes fire, well you can imagine that the results are explosive.

This is another dollar bin gem that I’ve only come across once. For a funny animal comic, it’s not half bad and I would consider it all-ages, though there are a few “damns” sprinkled in. The art is very clean and the story and characters are memorable (Except for the names- I’m bad with names.) I’m not sure why this didn’t take off. Then again, I’m not really sure why Bongo Comics published it in the first place not being a Matt Groening property.

Worth Consuming.

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment