Friday, April 18, 2014

Locke & Key, Book 6: Alpha & Omega

I didn’t intend to read a Joe Hill book right after reading a book by his famous father, Stephen King. It just happened. I’ve been reading Locke & Key since it first came out in hardback starting in 2009. I’ve gone through many ups and downs with the Locke family and their adventures with the magical keys of Keyhouse.
 
I’m actually glad this series is over. I didn’t hate it and I wasn’t disappointed with this volume in the least. But, I hate when series overstay their welcome and become dull and boring. Thankfully, Hill and his partner in crime artist Gabriel Rodriguez closed the door to the series before things got stale.

This volume contains the final chapter of Locke & Key. Unlike some finales there really wasn’t any plotlines left untidy. I felt like there was absolute finality in the series, especially with the touching reunions seen in the final chapter. Maybe Hill & Rodriguez will revisit the Keyhouse with a new family or even explore more of the origins of the House and the keys. But for now, I’ve got closure and I am very satisfied with it.
 
This is not a series for all-ages. Lots of sex, gore, and violence abound in this final volume. The action and dialogue was fast paced and epic. I see big things for Joe Hill and I hope he decides to explore the graphic novel/ comics medium again real soon.
 
(FUN FACT: NEAR THE BEGINNING OF THIS BOOK, THERE IS A FLASHBACK SCENE OF A CAR ACCIDENT. IN ONE PANEL, YOU SEE AN EMT WORKING ON A VICTIM, WEARING A YELLOW COAT. IF YOU LOOK CLOSELY, YOU WILL DISCOVER THAT THIS IS A CAMEO OF STEPHEN KING IN A NOD TO HIS NUMEROUS APPEARANCES IN FILMS BASED ON HIS NOVELS. IT’S A VERY COOL TRIBUTE TO THE “KING” OF HORROR.)
 
Worth Consuming.
 
Rating: 10 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment