Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Essential Marvel: The Rampaging Hulk, Volume 1


The Hulk's face looks like my grandmother's when she'd get mad.
She'd get mad a lot!
Think about popular super heroes and the volume of titles out about them. Superman has Action Comics, Superman, Superman/ Batman, Superman/ Wonder Woman, and appears in the pages of Justice League of America. Spider-man, Batman, Wolverine, and countless other fan favorites appear in several different titles every month. Now think about the Hulk. He’s been a pretty popular dude for a very long time, but until very recently, he only appeared in the pages of Incredible Hulk and the occasional mini-series.

I remember reading Incredible Hulk as a kid and I thought that was really the only series to star the Green Goliath (brief membership in the Avengers and his quasi-membership status in the Defenders excluded.) I’ve been reading comics for 33 years now and I’ve come to be considered to friends and family as an expert on the subject. So imagine my surprise when I came across a used copy of this book a few months back. Rampaging Hulk- what is that?

My first thought was that these was a collection of the Hulks greatest rampages. Instead, this was a magazine format black and white edition published in the late 70s. The idea for the book was in relation to the live action Hulk series starring the late Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno. These adventures of the Hulk take place during the first 6 issues of the Hulk published all the way back in 1963. It was meant to be a slightly more adult reader for people who loved the TV show but had never read the comic before. The only difference was the addition of a 3-fingered alien artist named Bereet and her bag of assorted gizmos, who enlisted the Hulks aid in defeating her alien brethren who sought to conquer the earth.

Apparently, the mag was more popular with comic book fans than new readers and after 9 issues the title and the format of the publication changed. Instead of providing an altered history of the Hulk and the early days of the Marvel Age of Comics, fans clamored for a comic that was similar to the live action series. Gone was the word “Rampaging,” as was Bereet, her brutal alien race, and one time sidekick to the Hulk, Rick Jones. Now, Robert Bruce Banner travelled the by-ways of the US, seeking solitude and solace from the one thing he can never outrun- the Hulk!

These new format tales have Banner finding work where he can find it, and usually he ends up finding corruption too. Thus as he tries to make things right, he ends up becoming the Hulk and doing a lot of destruction. Why nobody wonders why this wanderer comes to town and winds up shirtless and in purple pants after the Hulk rampages is beyond me. If I was to track down the Hulk, I would put an APB out for stores that have recently sold a large quantity of stretchable purple pants. Find the guy buying the purple pants, find the Hulk. Problem solved!

Anyway, I liked this series- both formats. I think the reboot was imaginative and I liked the newer tales that reflected the TV show. Some of those tales tackle child abuse, nuclear waste, and race. It’s like Marvel’s answer to the relevant comics of DC, such as Green Arrow/ Green Lantern, just about 7 years too late. There’s a second volume and I am on the hunt for it. I liked what I read and saw. Though I think the Ramping Hulk artwork is far more superior than that of the later issues. The early stuff has fantastic shading and looks very artistic. The later stuff is very clean but is what I would expect out of the comic book. Either way, the entire series is a fantastic read and very much worth consuming.

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment