Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Ghosted, volume 1: Haunted Heist


Ghosted (2013-Present) #TP Vol 1
Ghosted is like Ocean’s 11 meets Reservoir Dogs meets Shawshank Redemption meets Ghostbusters (minus the comedy.) In this new series, an eccentric collector of the macabre busts a former bank robber out of prison in hopes to steal him a ghost from a condemned haunted house. The team assembled by the felon represents just about every archetype found in horror movies: you’ve got your skeptic, your gifted psychic, your slime ball who dabbles in black market voodoo, and you’ve got your ghost hunters. Added to the mix is a bad-ass babysitter with a slew of weapons who is responsible for keeping this band of ghost hunters on task and from back stabbing their very wealthy benefactor.
This series is extremely graphic. From the very first panel depicting a prisoner raping his cellmate to the rampant gore, betrayal, and otherworldly terrors, this is very much a product of the horror titles of the 70s, if written and penned by Quinten Tarantino. Oddly, enough, the book is heavy on just about every R-rated vice except for swears.
I liked this book even though it’s not quite my taste. Let’s face it- my days of being an R-rated fanboy are over. I’m in my late 30s and I am a family man. I like my more wholesome materials nowadays. That doesn’t mean I won’t pick up volume 2 as soon as it hits store shelves.
This story has a definite ending but ends with a “To Be Continued.” If anything, I am more interesting in finding out where this series is going than seeing cartoon T&A and illustrated violence. Will the adventures of this ghost hunting team continue or is GHOSTED mean to be a vignette series like FX’s American Horror Story. It’s that element that I am more interesting in than anything else.
Worth Consuming but should only be read for those aged 18 and up.
Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment