Saturday, June 7, 2014

Marvel Universe Thor Comic Reader (2013), volume 1


Marvel Universe Thor Comic Reader (2013) #TP Vol 1
This small reader is geared towards young readers as a sort of primer. It contains a couple of stories from the Marvel Adventures line; an all-ages imprint that I just adore. It’s classic, wholesome and captures the Marvel Age of Comics beautifully.

  The first story gives a very good introduction of the characters of Thor, his alter-ego Don Blake, his unrequited love Jane Foster, as well as his father Odin and evil step-brother Loki. It also gives a brief synopsis of Thor’s origin while also telling a very good and action packed original story. I’ve read this story before and thanks to it being both wonderfully written and dynamically drawn, I read it again. If a parent came to me saying that their child wanted to get into Thor but did not know where to start, I would select that tale and thus, this issue.

   However, this reader does something that I HATE- it has a cliffhanger. I mentioned earlier that this book had two stories. Well, the second tale has Thor facing both and Ice Giant and a Fire Demon. Unfortunately, before Thor can really get his thunder rolling, the story ends with a “To Be Continued.” Even worse, the library doesn’t have volume 2, so I’ll have to wait to see how this story unfolds.

   I don’t think that tale originally was a two-part story. The few pages printed were just too short. If this was Marvel’s idea of gaining a younger audience for the God of Thunder, leaving the book with a cliff-hanger wasn’t a smart idea. $4.99 is a lot for a child to pay for a comic book-even if it is a primer. It’s even more of a stretch to expect that child to A) be okay that their book ends with a cliff-hanger and B) expect that child or mom and dad even to shell out another $5 plus tax for the second book.

   Maybe I’m just a spend-thrift. But I think parents should be aware of this. It just makes good dollars and sense to make potential readers aware of such a format. Marvel, I suggest in the future taking these matters into account if they truly want to engage and capture the next generation of readers.

Worth Consuming (but only for the first story!)

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment