Saturday, June 28, 2014

Challengers of the Unknown #8


Challengers of the Unknown (1991) #8
When reviewing the last issue, I said that the plot was “wrapped up into a very neat and tiny little package.” Gee- I couldn’t have been more wrong. In this final issue of the mini-series by Loeb & Sale, the remaining Challengers officially reunite while clearing their name while making Moffett an ‘unofficial’ Challenger. They also all seem to finally make peace with getting older and with the strange choices they’ve all made since the trail of the Challenger Mountain explosion.
I was very satisfied with the conclusion until I read a letter from scribe Jeph Loeb in the letters page. In that message, Loeb revealed that there was to be another mini-series in hopes of bringing the Challengers back into a monthly series. Well, for some reason that fell apart. While I am disappointed that this didn’t transpire, I realize that had if happened then we’d never have the fantastic Loeb/ Sale works such as ‘The Long Halloween’ and the Marvel ‘colors’ series. I guess the saying is true “when one door closes, another opens.” But just think what would’ve happened if DC had picked up Challengers as a monthly. Would we even have ‘The Long Halloween?’
I shudder at the thought…
Worth Consuming.
Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment