Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Astro City, volume 9: Through Open Doors


  The end of just about every issue of Astro City has a street sign on the bottom last page that says “Now Leaving Astro City. Please Drive Safe.” Well every time I read an Astro City comic book, I feel like I’ve taken an extensive tour or a living, breathing city filled with costumed heroes, villains, and everyday Joes just trying to make a living while hell breaks loose daily. During this tour, series creator Kurt Busiek recalls tales of the city’s early days, gives glimpses into the workings of city hall, the local food trucks (like Luft Waffle, A German brunch truck!), and provides in depth character studies of the residents.

    I love it.

   During this tour of the city, a strange ambassador from outer space has requested some assistance in learning about life on earth. While this official is educated, a group of super-powered citizens team up to take down a megalomaniac trying to build a super powered army with kidnapped Astro City residents, and we learn about the Astro City call center, designed to help super heroes know when and where a crisis has arisen. Plus, we take a small trek through the Astro City underworld through the eyes of an up-and-coming mob boss.

  This hard cover collects the first 6 issues since Astro City became a Vertigo property. The completion of this volume made it my fourth or fifth trek through Astro City. Even with a new land lord, the quality of stories, the pathos of characters, and the gritty beauty of the city has not been altered one bit! Plus, there are some awesome painted covers and character sketches by my favoricomic artist, Alex Ross!
I love this book so much. I cannot wait for more. I’m very glad to learn that Astro City has a home with DC/ Vertigo and maybe one day we’ll see Superman face his ‘dopple-danger’ the Samaritan someday soon.

   Did I mention I loved this book?


Worth Consuming.

 Rating: 10 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment