Monday, June 30, 2014

Captain America: The Fighting Avenger, Vol 1


This collection of Captain America tales was a pleasant surprise. With the exception of the title story, I was certain that I had read the other three stories published within. Thankfully, having just devoured this awesome anthology, I was wrong.
Captain America: The Fighting Avenger takes place during the awkward stage of Steve Rogers’ career. He’s just gotten the super-soldier serum and finished basic training. But he lacks combat experience. I9n fact, he’s been paraded so much selling war bonds that he’s looked at more like a mascot than a solider. In this story we get a glimpse of Cap’s first combat mission. However, war is more ho-hum than hell as his platoon makes him play look-out than actually do any fighting. It’s interesting to see a less than confident Cap struggle to be seen as a symbol of freedom much less be able to use his shield properly.
Along with Captain America: the Fighting Avenger, this volume also reprints a team-up tale from Marvel Adventures Super Heroes #5. In that story, Cap and Rhino hope of saving an endangered rhino baby from experimenting Hydra scientists. I’m pretty sure that that story was only a segment from issue #5 and not the whole comic as the story was too short. However, it was a thrill-a-minute read and unique having Rhino play the good guy role for a change.
The last two stories are from the classic Marvel Adventures Avengers series (issues 7 and 37 are reprinted.) In the first story, Baron Zemo kidnaps Captain America in revenge for past defeats during World War II. But all is not as it seems with this Zemo as he’s too cunning than he was in the 1940s. It will take all of the super powers, ingenuity, and tricks up the sleeves of Steve Roger’s teammates in order to save the Sentinel of Freedom.
I’m not sure how I missed this issue. I thought I had read the entire run of MA: Avengers. Btu like I said earlier, I was pleasantly surprised and thrilled to have an all-new adventure starring my personal favorite Avengers line-up. 
I had read issue 37 before. It stars the Puppet Master finding a way to drag the Invaders through time and turning them into his new army of warriors. When Cap is faced with his past he must decide whether to stay with his new team or return to the friends and time he holds so dear. Thanks to my readings of the Timely 75th Anniversary one-shots, I was able to reread this tale with a new perspective and enjoy some of the inside jokes a little more.
This collection is a great treasury starring my all-time favorite super hero. I highly recommend this book. Sure, ¾ of the book is geared toward the all-age crowd (IE kids under 13) but seasoned veterans of Cap’s adventures, adults, and youngsters alike will love this collection. I also consider it a good primer for someone wanting to get their toe wet in comics starring Captain America and the Avengers.
Worth Consuming.
Rating: 10 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment