Monday, June 16, 2014

Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: One Dead Spy















  This is the first book in the series, but it’s not the first book I’ve read from it. NHHT, as the author commonly refers to this series, stars Nathan Hale as the narrator. Just before he is to be hung during the Revolutionary War, Hale was given the ability to see all of American History (as his last words have earned him a place in the history books.) His execution by hangman and a British officer is stayed as long as he regales them with stories.

Up ‘first’ is the story of how Nathan Hale joined the revolution up to his capture as a spy. NHHT’s are my kind of comics. As a former educator and a history major, I am a big supporter of medias that make learning fun. I think it’s because I was such a fan of Schoolhouse Rock as a child. But let’s be honest- what’s more fun to learn: the memorization of the periodic table or to have a band like the Ramones belt out a turn helping you to remember the atomic weight of boron?

Sure, this series is geared for ages 10-14. But that doesn’t mean I didn’t learn anything from this book. For example, I didn’t know that Hale has a mole on his neck and it was considered such a bad luck charm that fellow school children teased him that he’d be hung by the neck by a noose. That’s a very interesting fact- but not something a 6-year old should probably be learning. Also just about every book in the bibliography used for research are geared for adults. Thus, I think I’ve proven that Nathan Hale’s Hazardous Tales offers something for everyone!

A fantastic series that I just can’t wait until I get my hands on the next one.

Worth Consuming.

Rating: 10 out of 10 stars.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment