Saturday, April 23, 2022

Four-Fisted Tales

I'm a real big fan of the classic EC Comics from the 1950s. The long-defunct publisher was known for its horror and crime titles. Yes, one series that really stole my heart was Two-Fisted Tales. The creation of the great Harvey Kurtzman, the series showed the guts and no glory side of combat with a message of 'War is Hell'. Equally legendary artists Jack Davis, John Severin, Wally Wood, Alex Toth and DC's King of War Comics, Joe Kubert contributed to the series which lasted 24 issues. Though that might be a small run compared to G.I. Combat or Sgt. Rock, the legacy of Two-Fisted Tales has endured for decades.

So imagine my excitement last year when I read about this really cool graphic novel from Ben Towle (Amelia Earhart: The Broad Ocean.) Even though Four-Fisted Tales isn't related to those beloved EC Comics, the influence is clearly there. The cover, which shows an array of animals trudging behind a soldier reminds me of the Severin covers when the series shifted focus more on swashbuckling tales of action and adventure. There's that signature colored bar the runs vertically on the left-hand side. And the title with the hyphenated words larger than life. Believe me, when I saw this book being advertised in the trades, I thought I had been transported back to a newsstand in 1953!

Four-Fisted Tales explores the impact animals of various species and sizes have made on warfare- both ancient and modern. There's Hannibal's use of elephants to transverse the Alps. The long-standing tradition of cats being made crew members on naval ships. The importance of carrier pigeons on the western front of World War I to coordinate attacks, retreats and rescues. Towle's collection also features loyal dogs, the game-changing horse, even a bear as important tools in assisting in the war effort. Though not every animal is on the side of the good guys, their importance and assistance in never in doubt. 

There's even a little bit of that Harvey Kurtzman anti-war message in this book. Which if keeping with the spirit of the original series, I completely understand. But it also makes for the epilogue to have this fun and educational graphic novel to end on a low note. I acknowledge; war isn't pretty. But with some of the more light-hearted and heart-warming stories that fill this book, I didn't expect it to end on such a bummer.

I'm hoping there will be a volume 2. I feel like there are so many more stories out there to be told of how the animal kingdom has been used to expand and conquer the kingdoms of human history. 

Worth Consuming

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment