Tuesday, April 5, 2022

You're All Just Jealous of My Jetpack

On my most recent trip to my local library, I chose this book just because of the great title. Not one to judge a book by its cover, I flipped around a bit and laughed at each cartoon I ran across. So I checked it out. And I was not disappointed!

From the mind of New York Times Magazine's Tom Gauld, You're All Just Jealous of My Jetpack is a collection of his work from Britain's The Guardian. The majority of the subject matter is about classic works of literature. I think that would be typical of a British publication. There's not a lot of pop culture references aside from a couple of toons about Harry Potter, which I think is the most modern reference. There's a few about Dracula and Frankenstein. But it's more about the lit versions not the Universal monsters from the movies. 

The jokes might be high brow but the art is primitive. It's the kind of stuff I'd expect to find on those caves in France. Surprising, as it's not what I'd expect from a publication as well regarded as The Guardian. 

Not every joke connected with me. Maybe 1 out of 10 went over my head. But thanks to the laughs, I enjoyed this book and in the end, I felt smarter after completing it. 

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment