Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Marvel Comics Presents #85

A new Wolverine story begins in this issue. Big surprise there. Actually, I have mixed feelings about this. And the negative I have isn't really about Wolverine. It's about the cover artist.

For roughly 85 issues, there was a different cover artist. That all changes here as Sam Keith becomes the permanent cover artist. I am a fan of Keith due to his creation The Maxx. Both the comic book and the animated series that appeared as part of the MTV series Oddities. (I'll admit; before researching just a few moments ago, I thought The Maxx was on Liquid Television. Oops!) Anyways. So I like Sam Keith. But I am not digging his take on Wolverine. 

Okay. Let me retract slightly. This cover and the next couple are decent. But as I've been looking ahead on what's to come, there are some real stinkers. I'll be pointing them out as we come to them.

Now what I am liking about this new Wolverine tale is the story itself. Wolverine is back in Madripoor. That's a plus for me. He's in a relationship with Tyger Tiger. Another plus. And penciler Sam Keith is making her look really alluring. Another plus. But the thing that I am liking about this story is the antagonist, a mutant called Cyber.

This is Cyber's first ever appearance. But in the story, he's got a history with Wolverine. Right now, it's not revealed. But apparently, just the mention of his name is enough to make Wolverine put his tail between his legs and fall into a cold sweat.

Finally, after years of being this little wise-ass who can't be beat, there's someone who makes Wolverine feel like a defenseless child. Yes. I know we just sat through 12 chapters+ of a Weapon X story that saw Logan suffer terrible torture under the guise of laboratory experiments. But deep down, Logan was still fighting his oppressors, even if most of it was subconscious. Here, Wolverine is rattled deep to his core. And I love it!

Meanwhile, the Firestar story continues with nothing really new happening. A new multi-parter starring X-Man, the Beast, attending a symposium in Europe and facing a deep, dark secret from his past. Finally, Scott Lobdell and Ron Wilson craft a fun Speedball story. Once again, my interest in the New Mutant character is whetted by the talent of MCP. I may have to find some back issues or a trade because I am really enjoying these stories.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment