Thursday, April 14, 2022

Marvel Comics Presents #82

A multi-parter featuring Firestar (Angelica Jones) begins in this issue. I remember the heroine as the fire half of Peter Parker's Fire and Ice powered allies from NBC's Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends. I knew that when the cartoon debuted in 1981, Firestar was created specially for the show. Apparently Johnny Storm, the Human Torch, wasn't available due to licensing rights. Plus, NBC wanted to add a female hero to appeal to girl viewers. What I did not know was that Firestar ever debuted in comics later on.

The character's comic book debut was in a 1985 issue of The Uncanny X-Men. Later on, Firestar got the miniseries treatment. But this issue was my first print encounter with a character I've known since I was in Pre-K. And to experience this was so cool!

In this opening chapter, Angelica Jones is laying low as her father is terrified for her safety. He's convinced that should the US government uncover her whereabouts, Angelica will be submitted to harsh medical testing as Firestar is a mutant! 

Honestly, I didn't know this! I just figured Firestar was bitten by a radioactive bonfire. Okay. Not really. But you could have knocked me over with a feather when it was revealed that this character has the X gene.

Also appearing in this story is the Freedom Force. The Marvel Comics version of the Suicide Squad; this is a clandestine team of mutants lead by Mystique with the promise of pardon upon successful completion of their government sponsored missions. 

It appears that Papa Jones was right. Angelica uses her powers against dad's wishes and this sends Freedom Force after her. But also on Firestar's trail is the White Queen, Emma Frost, who wishes to turn Firestar into a disciple of evil. If only she had listened to daddy...

A good chapter with a great reminder from my youth. The Weapon X story continues to be gory. But I also know that it's all part of a VR simulation. Iron Man and Luke Cage also appear in this book. I read these stories a while back- I'm catching up on a lot of reviews- and I just can't recall either. So, if you balance things out, this just isn't a great overall issue despite a very solid opening chapter starring Firestar and some dastardly mutants.

Not Worth Consuming!

Rating: 3 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment