Monday, April 4, 2022

Hawkman, Vol. 2: Deathbringer

Robert Venditti continues to slay it in this 12-issue series that seeks to make sense out of all of Hawkman's reincarnations. Venditti kicks things off with revealing the Carter Hall's very first life and the events that lead to him constantly dying and then being resurrected. While I was very satisfied with the end results of this series, I didn't feel like everything was properly explained or covered.

As I said during my review of volume 1, you will not see the JSA version of Hawkman as in 2017-18, those characters were currently non-existent due to events of Final Crisis or some other similar massive crossover event that rewrote multiverse history. I would have liked Venditti to explain what happens when one of Carter Hall's past lives are wiped from existence due to a Crisis level event. But such a concept isn't explained.

Also, I noted the absence of Hawkgirl from this series in the volume 1 review. That kinda happens here too. But in Hawkman's very first lifetime, there IS a mysterious woman who constantly hounds him. I'm assuming that this woman is Shiera/Sheyara/Kendra. But really there's no explanation as to why Hawkgirl keeps being reincarnated along with Hawkman. Having the pair be some sort of fated lovers doomed to never be together eternal romance is one that I am okay with. But if you start this love affair from Hawkman's very first life, things just don't make very much sense under that theory. 

Last thing I am disappointed in is the cover to this book. It pretty much gives away the amazing ending to this book. Yes, Carter Hall manages to defeat the big boss Deathbringers at the end of this story with the help of all of his past lives. Maybe the cover doesn't blatantly tell you what happens. But if you connect the dots throughout this series, this cover winds up ruining the surprise climax. So don't get mad at me for spoiling the ending. DC's trade paperback editorial and marketing staff did that for me.

This series was great. It has a few unanswered questions. And the cover kinda ruins a big surprise. But I enjoyed the heck out of the final battle and thought that Robert Venditti did an amazing job making sense out of a beloved character with a very confusing backstory. 

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment