Thursday, December 1, 2022

The 25 Baubles of Pop Culture! Advent 2022 Day 1


I spent a lot of this summer cleaning out the extra rooms in our house. It was from one of those cleaning excursions that I got my inspiration for this year's Advent: a look at pop culture themed Christmas ornaments!

The first ornament of this Advent came from my very own collection. Actually, I think it was in my grandmama's possession at one point. But when she passed in 1992, it was one of several I inherited from her and added to my family tree. 



What you see here is a 1982 E.T. satin ball ornament. For the longest time, I thought that this was a Hallmark ornament. But the producer is listed as Universal Studios. So my family could have gotten this at Brendle's or K-Mart or Sears for all I know...


The shrink-wrapped sleeve was indicative of ornaments of the time period. However, other than the green and red coloring of the borders and the E.T. logo, this isn't a real festive ornament. The image of E.T. and that of he and Elliot's fingers symbolically touching aren't Christmas related at all. Look at this swatch of wrapping paper, you can see how pop culture franchises interacting with the spirit of Christmas is one of my favorite things. I just wish ornaments like these followed suit.



As my Advent present for you, I'm sharing with you some further holiday cheer with E.T. and Elliot. For decades, fans have begged director Steven Spielberg to make a sequel to his 1982 classic film. While a script synopsis has floated around Hollywood and the internet for decades, Spielberg has sworn off ever following up. However in 2019, fans got to see a mini-sequel. Directed by Lance Acord (God's Bondage), this less than 5 minute film has Henry Thomas returning to the role of Elliot as his pal E.T. returns to spend the holidays with him and his family.

So before you hit start, grab some Reese's Pieces, some egg nog and snuggle up for the sequel we've all been waiting for. Enjoy...



No comments:

Post a Comment