Monday, November 3, 2014

Red Light Properties: Previously-Haunted Real Estate by Dan Goldman




When I saw this at my local library, I thought this was going to be a funny comic. The premise is that there’s this family realty business in which they buy up haunted properties, exercise the spirits and the sell the listing with a guarantee to be 100% haunt free. I saw it as a Wolff & Byrd: Counselors of the Macabre type comic. I figured I’d get a few laughs. I was wrong.

Yes, the premise I gave you is true. However, the majority of the story is rooted in tragedy. The Tobin's have been married for a while but today is the first day of their separation. The wife is convinced her assistant is sleeping with her husband. Mr. Tobin probably would sleep with the help if only he didn’t have to stay in a drug induced state in order to see and vex the spirits of the afterlife. Caught in the middle is there son who might have the gift of second sight or is just incredibly bright and good at noticing stuff.

Despite this not being what I thought it was that does not mean that this wasn’t an engrossing tale. I devoured the book in less than 2 days. It was almost like reading Little Miss Sunshine in which everyone’s lives are so screwed up and yet there’s a beauty and poignancy to it all. Plus, some of the scenes are incredibly powerful and really hit you in the gut like the scene where Mr. Tobin discovers that a house with frequently breaking windows isn’t haunted by ghosts but by the tragic rape of the young girl who was the apartment’s last occupant.

There’s a second volume due out pretty soon. While I felt that this was a modern classic, I’m not sure if I want to go back down that road again. There’s a lot of swears, some nudity, and lots of drugs and angst. I think it’s possible that Red Light Properties: Previously-Haunted Real Estate works best as a single work. I fear that to expound further might only lessen the impact that this premier volume left on me.

Worth Consuming

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

SPOILER- I don’t want to ruin the surprise but check the cover to this book out in the dark. It’s freaky cool and I’ve never really seen a glow in the dark cover before. Believe me, it scared the crap outta me at first.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment