Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Captain America, Volume 4: The Iron Nail (Marvel NOW!)



Since it’s been all over the news, internet, and blogs, I’m going to assume my following statement isn’t a spoiler. This is the volume that explains why Sam Wilson (AKA The Falcon) will assume the mantle of Captain America this month.


Last volume, readers were introduced to perhaps the most ludicrous looking villain since Crazy Quilt. That would be Doctor Mindbubble. With his bizarre 60s mod look, derby, and a spigot sticking out of his forehead that produces bubbles, I was really afraid this series had jumped the shark. I was pleasantly wrong about that assumption.

Yes, Mindbubble looks stupid. But his abilities are literally killer. His bubbles can encapsulate a person putting them into a LSD-type fog where their greatest dreams come true. Using the victim's susceptibility, Mindbubble can get them to do anything he wants and then kill you in your dreams. He’s like Freddy Krueger but with better skin. Oh, and the only way to escape a dream bubble is to commit suicide in the dream. Wicked Irony.

The art was very good. The story even better. There’s a new type of helicarrier in this book that has some very interesting tech. I’m not entirely sold by it but it didn’t cause me to hate this volume either.

Volume 5 should usher in the Sam Wilson era as Captain America. I don’t mind him taking the role. I just hope it’s temporarily. Steve Rogers’ Capt is my all-time favorite superhero and I would hate to never see him wield the shield ever again.

Best of luck to you Falcon. I support you but I hope your tenure is brief as only one man can really bear the moniker of the Sentinel of Freedom.

Worth Consuming

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment