Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Animal Parade: A Puzzle Book


   This adorable picture book hides a surprise. The main image of each page pulls apart to become a 2-sided puzzle. At only 6 panels, this is a puzzle that the youngest of readers can enjoy by themselves or with an older sibling or mom & dad. 

   I saw three different versions being  given away on Goodreads and I entered to win all three. How excited I was to win one! It's going to be a great gift to my wife's cousin's baby girl. 

   The author/ artist, Aino-Maija Metsola is a Finnish freelance designer. Her style is renown for being so simple and yet visually stunning. Plus, the wild color palette used seems to me to be in that special style that people say is perfect for a child's development. 

  Plus, I know the author is Finnish, but this book has a visual appeal that looks right at home at that Swedish superstore IKEA!

  There is one thing that I would change about this book and it's actually a smart idea. See, when I got this book, the pages have a plastic sleeve around them to keep the puzzle pieces from falling out. That's great to keep everything inside while at the store, but the plastic poses a choking hazard for little ones and should be discarded before use. So, I purpose that they attach some sort of velcro strap attached to the book that can be used to keep the book shut tight and pieces from falling out (and getting lost) when not it use.

   Maybe that can be done with the second print of what is sure to become the next picture book classic!

   Worth Consuming

   Rating: 10 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment