Saturday, January 5, 2019

Harley and Ivy Meet Betty and Veronica

Mr. Lodge wants to convert a swamp into a shopping center. Unhappy with this project, Poison Ivy, with Harley Quinn in tow, travels to Riverdale to persuade Hiram to cease production. But when Mr. Lodge refuses, Ivy goes to plan B- kidnap his daughter Veronica.

Seeing their chance at a costume ball, Ivy and Harley are poised to snatch Veronica. However, a little magical snafu, thanks to Sabrina, causes Harley and Ivy to switch bodies with Betty and Veronica. Oh, and Reggie now thinks he's the Joker! Plus add a cadre of unusual villains to the mix, such as a gangster with a peach for a head, and you've got an odd-ball tale that could only come from Paul Dini and Marc Andreyko!

I had previously reviewed the first issue of this series sometime last year. Or maybe it was 2016. Anyways, I really enjoyed what I read and I wanted more. But my budget not being infinite, I wanted until everything was collected in one volume. 

Finally getting my hands on the hard cover collection, I enjoyed the funny romp through Riverdale and Gotham City. However, it's wasn't as good as I think it could have been. See, this crossover takes place in the rebooted modern Archie universe. Here Mr. Lodge is a businessman of questionable ethics. Betty and Veronica despise each other. Archie is a floundering typical teen with very little direction in life. (He's also pretty boring as a modern American teen!) There's just too much millennial teen angst here! The only one who is sheer perfection is Jughead!

I would have preferred that this adventure take place in the original Archie realm. But during both the planning stage of this miniseries and when the series first debuted in stores, a revival of Classic look Archie wasn't on the horizon. Thankfully, that has now changed with Dan Parent leading the renaissance of good feels Riverdale. 

The art by Laura Braga was done in the DC style of Harley Quinn. I enjoyed it. Braga captures all of the characters very well. Plus I love the timeless touches she adds to the story like using a Classic Archie era image on the cover of Archie's copy of 'Captain Pureheart' comic.

There was also a ton of awesome cameos and Easter eggs. That was thanks in very large part to the nostalgia heavy Paul Dini. I don't want to give them all away. But in this mini we see the return of a L'il Archie staple- L'il Jinx! 

I had fun reading this book. As I always say, Paul Dini is the definitive Harley Quinn writer, having been her creator and all that. There's lots of old school nods and cool Gotham City twists. But let's face it, this is modern style Archie Comics. For fans of the TV show Riverdale, this is great. But it's not my cup of tea. I don't want to know the seedy side of the River's Edge. 

Should there be a sequel, hopefully they'll give Dan Parent a go at it. That more wholesome, good-time version of America's oldest teenagers is the one I want to see interact with Harley and Ivy. It worked for Archie when he meet The Punisher. It could work here too!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment