Saturday, January 26, 2019

Crypt of Shadows One-Shot (Marvel 80th Anniversary Special)

I've said it many a time on this blog; the 70s were my favorite time period for Marvel Comics. Around 1970, when the Comics Code adjusted to allow certain monsters back into comics, such as vampires and werewolves, Stan Lee jumped at the opportunity! One of the first Marvel Horror titles of the new era was Crypt of Shadows. This anthology series was mostly a book of reprints. But the covers were amazing and the stories themselves were fantastic!

In honor of Marvel's 80th anniversary, the House of Ideas is releasing a number of one-shot specials revitalizing some long-forgotten publications. I'll purchase a few of these new, right off the shelf. For the most part, when these books hit the bargain bin, I'll surely snag them up then. But with Crypt of Shadows being a favorite of mine, there was no way I was going to wait for a copy!

Jennifer Blood's Al Ewing pens the three stories that comprise this one-shot. Told in the Rashomon style with a twist, there's not much I want to reveal about this story as it would spoil the epic surprise ending. All I will say is that this book is about a man, with a terrifying fear of dogs, who sees a therapist for a radical new treatment. 

Now some of you might be thinking that for me to say that there's a shocking turn of events. But an anthology horror series wouldn't be an anthology horror series if each story didn't finish with some sort of bolt from the blue!

While I really enjoyed these stories, I had to re-read some sections. The book is great but it's also quite complex. That's not a bad thing either. However, I wish I could say the same about the artwork.

The variant covers by Kyle Hotz, Young Guns and John Tyler Christopher were all phenomenal. But the artwork by a trio of artists, including Garry Brown (Babyteeth) were of varying quality. I mention only Brown as his art was the best. It's not Kirby/Romita/Ditko quality but it's good. But it's all downhill from there. 

What's wrong with the overall art? Mostly, it's the level of detail. There isn't any. I'm used to artists who like to pepper panels with creative set pieces and minute details. But for some reason, Marvel's next generation of artists refuse to add anything to the background. I just refuse to believe that nobody in the Marvel Universe has some posters or photos of family and friends on their living room walls!

Marvel has decided to reflect on it's past during the whole of 2019. I think that's a great idea. It's been working for DC very well. This one-shot horror special was a beautifully gory return to Marvel's roots. The House of Ideas has a fantastic line-up of talented writers and storytellers. Now if only Marvel's bullpen could be staffed with amazing artists once more. 

Maybe that will be the focus of anniversary #81...

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment