Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Myth of 8-Opus: The Doomed Battalion


It did not take me long at all to return to Thomas Scioli's Urdu. I loved the previous volume I read (8-Opus Wrecks) so much, that when I was finally complete in my holiday readings for the season, this was next on my list. 

8-Opus and Daedalus continue their war with the Sons of Nashek on the planet Rathagan. In order to prevent their foes from unleashing their most powerful weapons, the two gods must travel incognito and help a struggling battalion of rebels overthrow that world's evil despotic leader.

Meanwhile back on Urdu, two of 8-Opus' compatriots run afoul of a secret cadre of the Sons of Nashek hiding underground. Subjected to horrible torture and unthinkable genetic tests, these heroes must break free back to the surface and warn their brethren of the coming invasion before it's too late!

There's technically two more books in the series. However, one of them is a prequel story. So it's more background on the character of 8-Opus; but probably doesn't move the story of the war with the Sons of Nashek very far. 

Both the prologue and what I am assuming is part 3 (The Labyrinth) are going to have to wait however. The only copies I can find for sell are at some astronomical prices.

 If Thomas Scioli ever reads this and could somehow hook my up with those other 2 books, I would forever be grateful. (Yes, I would pay cover price for them. I won't be greedy and expect to get them for nothing!)

I enjoyed this second act some much more than the prior. Scioli's art, while still tributing the great Jack Kirby, looks more original and the inks are so clean. Plus, the story is a lot better, too. Plot lines seem more polished. Plus, now that I am more familiar with a majority of the characters, things made for a much smoother read. 

Fans of Kirby's Fourth World should really check this series out. It's quite engaging and total eye-candy for fans of the King's artwork.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment