Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Walt Disney's Adventures of Tinkerbell (Dell 4-Color Comics #896)


Last month I reviewed a holiday collection called Walt Disney's Christmas Classics. The book was published by IDW. It reprinted an annual holiday comic strip that ran in newspapers for almost 50 years. 

In these festive tales characters such as Peter Pan and Tinkerbell would share adventures with Cinderella's pet mice. Or maybe Bambi and Sleeping Beauty would team together to save Santa from the Beagle Boys.

I thought that these crossovers were the only ones of their kind. But I found that to not be the case in this 1958 issue of Dell 4-Color Comics #896 (Walt Disney's Adventures of Tinkerbell). 

I bought this book as a part of my wife's Tinkerbell and Peter Pan Collection. A gift for her, I got to read it first before it went into her permanent collection display case. I had seen copies of this book for upwards of $100. Yet while in Chicago, I got a very good deal for a fraction of that cost. 

The book begins with a clever plot device. Normally, Tinkerbell doesn't speak words as you and I do. She communicates with tiny tinkles and jingles of her wings. But to have a comic book in which the main character doesn't speak was pretty unheard of in the 1950s. So, the writers of this book came up with a smart idea to have Tink get a yearly 'fairy wish' and for this year's wish, she gets to speak English with all her friends. 

There are four stories in this comic. The first takes place in Neverland with Peter Pan stealing the bell from Captain Hook's ship. In return, Hook kidnaps Peter's bell- I.E. Tink! A cute story- it felt like a retelling of the 1953 Peter Pan movie only there aren't any of the Darling children.

Tinkerbell then goes off to visit some of her friends and this is where the crossovers come in. First, she teaches the Wicked Witch to be nice to the Seven Dwarfs. Then Tinkerbell goes to visit Dumbo's circus where a new lion attraction has gotten the flying elephant into a terrible tizzy. Lastly, Tink travels to Italy where she assists Pinocchio and Geppetto in finding some beautiful flowers for a special festival.

On the back cover there's an activity in which children could cut out a picture of Tinkerbell, make a few folds, add glue, string, a stick and some flour and make a pixie dust kite. I have a feeling a lot of these books ended up with the back cover being destroyed, thus why pristine copies are so expensive. 

There's a sequel book to this comic. It of course in on my list to find for my bride. It's just about as expensive as this book is. But that volume is actually harder to find as I have never seen one for sale except online. I wonder what activity kiddos were expected to make out of those issues.

Worth Consuming if not for anything else that it's charming as hell, a fun crossover comic and classic 1950s Disney through and through.

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment