Thursday, January 17, 2019

Star Wars Adventures Ashcan

The introductory issue to IDW's amazing all-ages Star Wars series. While Star Wars Adventures is a great series, this issue, to me, is what this series could have been. 


Cavan Scott has done a great job writing never-before-revealed episodes of your favorite Star Wars characters. But there is this back-up feature called 'Tales for Wild Space'. It has some minor characters from some 90s kids series hosting tales of the Old Republic and beyond. It doesn't have a nostalgic feel. For that segment, the real hosts of the back-up stories are our narrators here- C-3PO and R2-D2!

Landry Q. Walker (Danger Club) penned this issue. It's the only story by Walker in this entire series (thus far)! But I think that Walker had the right idea having Threepio and Artoo be the storytellers. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. 

As for the artwork by Derek Charm. It's 100% perfect. It's how I always wished a Star Wars cartoon would have looked like when I was little. Yeah, we had Star Wars: Droids and Ewoks growing up. But an honest to God animated series with Vader, Luke, Chewie and the rest- Derek Charm crafts a classic-looking animated style!

A very tough issue to find. It was supposed to be a freebie given away at comic book shops nationwide. But I never came across it until finding a copy in a bargain bin. I'm not sure if IDW didn't print a lot of copies or if my area of the country just didn't fare well on the publisher's marketing campaign.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 10 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment