Monday, May 16, 2022

Mister Negativity and Other Tales of Supernatural Law (A Madman Re-read)

This is the volume that got me started on Supernatural Law. I don't know why but for some reason my local library has only had volume 5 in it's stacks. It's been like 10 years since I read the book and my library still refuses to add any other Supernatural Law books to the graphic novel shelving units. 

The main story is about a man with the ability to turn even the brightest of situations into a real bummer. Mister Negativity isn't being sued. Instead, he's suing for damages due to his now permanent sour disposition, which in a word is repelling! 

Paralleling this case is a suit filed against a medium. Seems that a fortuneteller promised a man a long life. Only the guy gets hit by a bus or something right after. As a result, he keeps digging himself up feeling misled about the fortune he was issued. 

The connection between the two stories is kinda telegraphed. But the ending was still pretty powerful. 

Another story I enjoyed a bunch involves a demon. No, I haven't started warming up to the darker sides of horror. I just really appreciated the Dave Sims tribute to the aardvark Cerebus in this story. Yeah, I know I've never read a Cerebus story before. But I still appreciated it. 

One tale that I wasn't a fan of takes place in the dream world. A horror writer is in a coma as a result of a mysterious hit and run. As death creeps even closer, the author reaches out to Wolff & Byrd through their slumber. It's a rare episode where Mavis gets to save the day for once. But I felt that this take on Stephen King's near-death experience was full of parodies that just weren't funny. It just was too serious. This poses the questions: can a parody be serious?

I like it better when Batton Lash is light-hearted and this story was far from being happy-go-lucky. A good volume of Supernatural Law. Not the best one of the bunch. But still fun to read!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment