Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Tales of Supernatural Law (A Madman Re-Read)

I'm not sure what possessed me but I decided it was finally time to complete my run of Supernatural Law books. As I'm waiting for those gap fillers to come in the mail, I've decided to re-read from the very beginning. 

Okay- not the very, very beginning. See prior to Batton Lash turning his creations of Wolff & Byrd: Counselors of the Macabre into a self published comic book, the pair were the stars of a weekly comic strip in a local New York paper before moving over to a prestigious law journal. I've read the 3 collections of strips and I must say they are a totally different animal from the comic book. 

Most of the action takes place in the courtroom. Main character Mavis is non-existent. As are Toby, Chase Hawkins and members of the Wolff Family. And while the comic strip is humorous, it lacks the campy nature of the comic book. While I may very well re-read those editions, I wanted to start with issue #1 and go all the way through the series, the Mavis spin-offs, the Wolff & Byrd college years one-shot and the couple of graphic novel length stories. 

Re-reading these books is a big deal for me. I feel like life is too short to re-read books. Plus, my collection is just too gosh darn big! There has only been one or two books that I've ever re-read on purpose. I often read stuff over again having forgotten I've read it in the first place. Another reason why I need this blog!

CRISIS and To Kill A Mockingbird. Now add a good portion of Supernatural Law to that list. Very exclusive company. 

How did the first volume do? I enjoyed it very much. It held up quite well. I think I got more of the jokes now that I am a little more in depth within the kitsch horror/sci-fi community. Tons of Easter Eggs, tributes and puns. Fun, fun, fun!

No, seriously! No objections here!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 10 out of 10 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment