Sunday, May 22, 2022

The Werewolf of New York: A Supernatural Law Book (A Madman Re-Read)

The Werewolf of New York is the first Supernatural Law original graphic novel. It's also the first full-color story! In the reading order of things, yes, you do skip in-between the individual Supernatural Law issues. At another review post, I'll explain why. But for now, it's all about lycanthropy. 

Leon Reed has a chance encounter with some wolfsbane and turns into a werewolf as a result. During one of Leon's monthly changes, he attacks a man with a gun. Leon claims it was all in self defense. But it's election time and both the New York District Attorney and the judge proceeding over the case are up for re-election. Still, to throw Leon behind bars for a first offense wouldn't be just. So probation and rehab are ordered.

In the 28 days leading up to his next transformation, Leon attends a 13-step program to curb his animalistic urges. Meanwhile, a shape-shifters rights group is in the wings mucking things up. They believe that Wolff & Byrd aren't doing enough for Leon. These activists believe Leon should be encouraged to embrace his wild side and run free. And they're not afraid to flood the airwaves with their message!

Many of the stories of Supernatural Law appear to be parodies of monster flicks. But underneath, a ton of these stories are satire of important social debates of the day. Batton Lash has done stories on the First Amendment, divorce, abortion and many other issues that seem to grace the floor of our higher courts. The Werewolf of New York is a little bit about animal rights as well as gender rights and identity. But the overall message of this graphic novel is about the overly pervasive role of media in our lives. 

Batton Lash's storytelling isn't an issue. It's amazing. And I really liked that Wolff and Byrd's personal lives take a backseat here for a change. But I did think that the artwork was uneven. I've complained in the past about how Mavis looks like she's from Riverdale and different from everyone else. I've gotten over that as I see that Lash likes to incorporate from different art styles. But when Leon changes to a werewolf, Batton Lash for some reason can't draw him consistently. 

There have been other werewolves in this series before. And they've looked amazing. Mostly, because Lash draws upon 100 years of cinema's most iconic lycanthropes. I think when needing to create a changeling from scratch, Lash had some difficulties.

I also want to point out that I recently learned that during this time Batton Lash was having some severe health issues. If the entire book was at a lower level of quality, I would be graceful towards the Supernatural Law creator. But really, it's just the werewolf artwork that is not up to snuff. So, I hope with this re-read, I am being fairer than fair on this. 

I really enjoyed re-reading this one. I really don't seem to remember it all that much from before. That was 8 years ago and it kinda scares me that I seemed to have blanked out on about 80% of this book. But I guess it was fun to feel like I was reading an all-new Supernatural Law story. maybe...

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment