Monday, May 23, 2022

A Vampire in Hollywood: And Other Tales of Supernatural Law

The last few issues of Supernatural Law are collected in this volume. 

I personally have a connection to this book as I was one of the backers on Kickstarter for the publication of A Vampire in Hollywood. Yes! My name is really inside this book, somewhere in the back. 

When I backed this project, I opted for an autographed copy of a rare collection of Supernatural Law comic strips commonly known as 'The Red Book', due to the blood red cover. That was about 7 years ago. Just recently, I decided to stop sitting on the pot and complete my collection. (Naturally, I've learned that I'm actually farther away from finishing up my run of Supernatural Law books.)

The cover story of this book is about a 5th generation vampire who's being sued for sexual harassment. The reluctant vampire is claiming to have been outed as a bloodsucker, even though he's a vegetarian. But when his newfound popularity opens the doors to Hollywood stardom, all of a sudden, this milksop will embrace his inner Nosferatu!

While in Burbank, Wolff & Byrd will entertain a series of pitches for a Supernatural Law movie. Led by former Mavis boyfriend, Toby, this pitch session will be anything but normal. 

Oh, and remember when I said that the original Supernatural Law graphic novel, The Werewolf in New York was set to be read before this book? Well, Wolff & Byrd are in California as an in-direct follow-up to the events of that story. While Leon, the werewolf from that graphic novel is never shown, scenes from that graphic novel are used in the 'sequel' story. 

Lastly, things come to an end for both Supernatural Law (the comic book, not the series itself) and Mavis, the sister series. With Mavis, she's got a new beau and she's desperate to show off him at a gathering of friends. But he's got a complicated history with one of the other party goers. And the birthday boy guest-of-honor is nowhere to be found!

With Supernatural Law's last issue, Woff & Byrd defend their most famous client aside from Count Dracula. It's Troma's Toxic Avenger! Toxie has become the pariah of hometown Tromaville and needs the counselors of the macabre to come to his defense. Featuring the George Lucas of Troma Entertainment, Lloyd Kaufman as narrator and extra guest star!

I always enjoy reading Batton Lash's Supernatural Law. But I think this volume was the most fun I've had since reading volume 3: The Vampire Brat. It's got great storytelling. Awesome artwork. And with that last story, it also gets downright silly. And I loved every page of it!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 10 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment