Thursday, May 26, 2022

Marvel Comics Presents #103

The backup story is the most memorable part of this issue. It involves a pan-dimensional being that looks like a lime green Minotaur. Named Rintrah, he's the apprentice of Doctor Stephen Strange. 

This is Rintrah's second appearance in MCP. I really liked him in my first encounter with him. After this story, I am in love with him! 

Rintrah has made the acquaintance of a human female. She knows he's not human. But in order to not start a panic, if Rintrah is to leave the confines of the Sanctum Sanctorum, he must cast a spell to look human. Everything seems to be going well on Rintrah's date. That is until the spell begins to wear off in the middle of a Central Park concert!

While I really loved this story, I don't understand why the sight of Rintrah is such a cause of panic in the Big Apple! Manhattan is rife with battling mutants, avenging superheroes and uncanny villains. Why would 1 lone chartreuse bull-man cause a panic in Central Park? Now if I saw a regular white dude morph into a monster, sure, I'd freak out. But since sights like The Thing and Tigra are a dime a dozen in NYC, why does Rintrah have to disguise himself? 

Is it because his isn't orange? I bet it's because of his color! Wow! Is MCP masking a statement against racism in a charming yarn about magic and mirth? 

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment