Saturday, August 27, 2022

Department of Truth, Vol 2: The City on a Hill


It's training day for the Dept. of Truth's newest recruit, Cole Turner. His trainer is a real piece of work. First up on the agenda: an airport in Denver and a Bigfoot hunter in the Pacific Northwest. As Turner learns about the process of changing myth into truth and how to repeal conspiracies that seek to alter our reality, he'll face his old demons- literally. 

It's been about 8 months since reading the first volume to this book. I tell you, this is one scary series from James Tynion IV (Something is Killing the Children). It's not because of the demons or historical references to Aleister Crowley and his sex magic occult. It's because of how close to accurate this book hits with public sentiment against/for the COVID-19 vaccine and events of January 11th, Pizzagate and Jeffrey Epstein. 

I feel like I'm to blame for some of this book. In the 90s and 2000s, I was big on conspiracy theories. And in some ways, I guess I still am. Though I'm not wearing tin foil hats or worrying that the FBI is listening in on my phone calls, I still have alternate views on things. Take climate change for instance. I believe that it's real. I just think how it's coming about is less man made carbon level related and more man made sin nature. See, I'm sounding like a nut too.

We all have our conspiracies. How many of you out there think Tupac faked his death or that red M&Ms cause cancer? We live in a world of distrust and misinformation. So really, who can blame us?

James Tynion IV seems to really have done his conspiracy theory research. With a book about two sides fighting to change reality, he does a very good job of presenting multiple points of view on things like the JFK assassination and UFOs. There's a really solid mystery to the Department of Truth. I just hope that Tynion doesn't fall into the trap Chris Carter did with The X-Files and keep dragging the story out ad nauseam. Let there be a definitive ending. Above all, don't take the easy way out by saying things were all a dream like with the end of X-Files season 10 going into the premiere of season 11. 

Worth Consuming and scary as hell!

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment