Thursday, August 11, 2022

Marvel Comics Presents #139

For the past two issues, Wolverine has had his tropical island vacation ruined by some pesky aliens, a navy blue gorilla and a seemingly possessed islander. In the past 16 pages of story, Wolverine has had this notion that he knows who the islander is. This chapter reveals that yes, Logan does know who that fella is- Hulk psychiatrist Doc Samson! Now we've got a Wolverine team-up!

The Ghost Rider/Masters of Silence story is a pretty good kung-fu caper. It has a lot of Bruce Lee movie type elements to it. 

I really don't know what to think about the Spellbounder story. The lead character at the point can't really tell what's real and what is illusion. In my bones, I also feel like this story steals a lot from Rainbow Brite. I don't know why. That's just the vibe I get. 

Our one-shot story stars that Captain America foil, Batroc the Leaper. When a bank is robbed by a diminutive goon with psychic powers and his gang, a desperate bank manager hires Batroc to recover the stolen cash. For a fee, of course!

The Batroc story was a laugh riot. Such a romp by Silver Surfer scribe Mike Lackey. The artwork is by someone referred to as Pedi. Whoever this person is, they're a complete unknown. The Marvel Wiki has nothing about this artist other than listing the work on this story. Not even a place of birth! Google searches just take me to pedicure artists. So if I had to describe the style, I would compare it to that of 'Mazing Man's Stephen DeStefano. It's vibrant. It's impressionistic. And it's kinda wacky. 

A good offering of segments. Though, I really think the Spellbounder tale has turned into something I'd expect from a girl-centric weekday cartoon series from the 80s. If the creators of it didn't steal some element from Rainbow Brite, I'll eat my hat.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment