Friday, August 5, 2022

Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology III #6 (2022 Comic Book and Graphic Novel Reading Challenge)

The epic collection of ancient Norse tales by acclaimed writer Neil Gaiman comes to a close. Mischievous Loki has raised an army in revenge against Highfather Odin. Allied with Fenrir the wolf, the demonic Surtr and the Midgard Serpent, Ragnarok has begun!

This is the third comic miniseries based on Norse myth by Neil Gaiman (Sandman). The Dark Horse Comics trio of minis were inspired by Gaiman's 2017 prose collection of Scandinavian folklore in his aptly titled Norse Mythology. Published by W.W. Norton & Company, Gaiman's novel covers the genesis of the nine realms, the evolution of giants, elves and other ancient races, dives into Loki's animosity against Odin and his son Thor and ultimately Ragnarok: the final war of the gods!

In 2020, Dark Horse Comics issued forth the first miniseries based on Gaiman's collection of Norse tales. Volume I focused on the creation of Asgard and the Nine Realms. Volume II chronicles many of the most beloved accounts of bravery and deceit starring Thor, Loki, Balder and many other popular names that grace the halls of Valhalla. Folk tales about the creation of art, poetry and Northern European animals are also included. Book III is all about Ragnarok: the lead up to war, the bloody conflict and the promise of a new race: mankind!

The artist for these three miniseries is P. Craig Russell (Night Music). Russell's artwork evokes a timeless whimsy. I'm no art expert. But if I had to describe P. Craig Russell's style I would say 1920s Art Deco mixed with the posters of French commercial artist Rodolphe Salis (La Chat Noir).

It's interesting to read this account of Ragnarok and the world that arrives afterwards. I'm amazed by how similar this 'pagan' tale is to the final battle of Armageddon as foretold in the Book of Revelations. One of my favorite classes as a kid was on world mythology. Thus, I've read how Thor will slay the Midgard Serpent and how Odin will die on the field of battle.. But I didn't know that in that epic the world would be reborn along with a new version of Asgard on in the wings.

I'm always last to the party with things. I got on the Deadpool train like 10 years ago. I didn't start reading The Walking Dead until it became a TV series. And I pick up the latest issue of Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology which is the 18th and final overall issue. But you can be sure I'll be adding those remaining 17 books to my wish list!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

Completing this review completes Task #31 (Story of Ancient Mythology) of the 2022 Comic Book and Graphic Novel Reading Challenge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment