Sunday, August 7, 2022

Bizarre Adventures #1


Not happy with the website I use to catalog my comic book collection and wish list, I'm inventorying all 11,000 plus comic books. It's an arduous process, but it's helping me catch things that have slipped in the cracks. And that's where we come to this book. 

I bought this comic new in 2019. I read it within a day or so of purchasing. And then I filed it in my long boxes without neither a review nor adding it to my database. 

This one-shot is a tribute to the Bizarre Adventures anthologies series from 1981-83. Originally titled Marvel Preview, the name change occurred at issue #25. The book was originally a magazine format; which was code for containing material not encumbered by the Comics Code. Marvel kept the oversized magazine format for a couple of issues with the new name. However, the name change wasn't enough to win over new fans. So, some of the last few issues were released in comic book format. Even with forgoing the CCA, Marvel just couldn't make the series a hit and Bizarre Adventures ended with issue #34; a holiday horror classic!

Even though Bizarre Adventures wasn't a commercial success, the title became a cult classic. Thus the tribute release in 2019.

There are four stories in this issue. First up is an origin or early years story starring that eternal monster hunter, Ulysses Bloodstone. Set in his days as a caveman, it turns out that those pesky Skrulls have been visiting here a heck of a lot longer than we originally thought.

Story #2 involves Shang-Chi, the Master of Kung-Fu. I don't recall much of the plot. I do recall when I read this 3 years ago, my eyes were opened to a Communist Chinese concept of building new cities for the purpose of keeping unoccupied until the need for relocating citizens. In 2019, I couldn't believe such cities existed. But I think last year or maybe 2020, when China needed to divert a river or a dam, they moved their people to one of these brand spanking new metropolises. Therefore, in a weird sort of way, life imitated art!

Third story involves Dracula. Set in like the 20s or 30s, the Lord of the Vampires becomes enamored with a beauty. But of course, there's a twist!

Lastly, things are wrapped up with a Bill Foster Giant Man/Goliath story. It was a hot mess that was supposed to be the debut of some hot new talent. Maybe this cartoonist is some great player on the Indy comics circuit. But they just weren't Marvel material.

Like I said, it's been about 3 years since I read this book. And as you can tell from the Shang-Chi story, my memory isn't 100% clear. So I'm going to base my review on how I felt about the book in 2019. I hated the Bill Foster story. It's too psychedelic for my taste. Loved the two true horror stories that comprise this book. The Master of Kung-Fu story was good. But I apparently only remembered the wrong parts of this book.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment