Friday, August 26, 2022

Edison Beaker, Creature Seeker: The Night Door (Family Comic Friday)

Edison Beaker is about to learn that there's more to the family business than getting rid of those pesky bugs. Edison's uncle is the owner of Creature Seekers. What appears to be your average extermination service is actually earth's last line of defense from dark creatures that sneak over from an alternate universe known as the Underwhere.

One night, Edison and his sister Tesla join their uncle on a call. When a dragon destroys the building their uncle is working in, the siblings learn that this isn't one of those standard pest control gigs. The Night Door that prevents an army of dark creatures from invading earth has been damaged and a mysterious orb that acts as a lock to the barricade has been stolen. 

With his sister and uncle kidnapped by the minions of the evil Baron Umbra, Edison must transverse the Underwhere in order to find the orb. Armed with the flashlight given to him by his missing father, Edison will take a dark and fanciful journey to find a way to save the earth, his family, and maybe himself!

It was the artwork that immediately caught my eye. By page 5, I really felt that creator Frank Cammuso's (Knights of the Lunch Table) style was influenced by Bill Waterson's iconic Calvin and Hobbes comic strip. After completing this book, I notice that one of the reviewers made the connection as well. So a big pat on the back for that.

I felt that the artwork on this graphic novel was so lively and fluid, I didn't think I was reading a book- I was watching an animated feature movie! The character of Uncle Earl just screamed the voice of Patton Oswalt. I couldn't really tell who the other characters voices were in my head. But the dialogue was so rapid fire and funny. 

I really enjoyed this 2018 release. A sequel dropped in 2019. I hope I can get my hands on that one because The Night Door left me wanting more- in a good way! I must know what happens next! 

Beautifully illustrated. Smartly and humorously written. And full of action and adventure!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment