Sunday, August 14, 2022

The Official Prince Valiant Collection (Vol. 1)

A young prince rises through the ranks of King Arthur's Court. Thus begins the saga of Hal Foster's Prince Valiant. 

I'm not sure where I scored this over-sized collection of early newspaper comics. I think it might have come from a grab bag which is a pretty nice find if that's the case. Nearly 100 pages of story. 

That had to be how I came across this book. As a child, I loved the dynamic artwork of Prince Valiant. But the writing and lack of word bubbles bored me to tears. Prince Valiant was always the lead feature in my area's Sunday Funnies. Yet, there never was anything funny about it. Plus, with the story being continued week after week, if you missed anything, you were totally lost.

That's why I appreciate this collection. At least 3 stories are collected in their entirety here and there's a beginning of a fourth. Though the cover doesn't say it, this is supposed to be volume 1 of a continuing series. However, I don't think publisher Pioneer was in business long enough to produce other volumes. There is a small shining light of hope to all this as Pioneer did manage to release 18 issues and an annual of further Prince Valiant material. So I could continue the story if I ever felt like searching for the other 15 issues not covered by this edition.

This book does manage to collect the very first stories of Prince Valiant. Getting to read the character's origin story was really cool. It's set at a time where dinosaurs are dying off but there's just enough for folks to think they're dragons and monsters. The aspect of Prince Valiant not just being around in the days of King Arthur's Court but also as a full-fledged member of Camelot was new to me. The original full title of Hal Foster's series was Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur. However, by the 1980s when I first encountered the strip it was simply shortened to Prince Valiant.

A lot must be said of Hal Foster's work. Yet, I don't think it all could be put into words. There's an air of realism mixed with bravado in Foster's art. Every character looks modeled after a movie matinee idol. The scenery is given just as much loving eye to detail as the characters. And Foster's prose is a mix of Old English bard and 1930s pulp.

I enjoyed this read. I think I was finally old enough to enjoy it. Having a bunch of the strips in order helped too. Though the editing of them was a bit hap-hazard. Whomever was in charge of formatting this book did happen to number the panels, often of different shapes and sizes, from time to time. But I shouldn't have to find panel #3 right next to panel #8 of the next page over!

Swashbuckling action in the vein of Errol Flynn or in this case: Robert Wagner. Google it!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment