Friday, December 21, 2018

The Merry X-Men Holiday Special #1

I really don't recognize the X-Men anymore. I'm not talking about the Manga-styled variant cover for this 2018 Christmas special. I actually like thise festive and playful work from Rian Gonzales. No, the things I don't comprehend are all inside the book.

The Merry X-Men Holiday Special is set up like an Advent calendar. There are 25 one-page stories; one for each day of December, leading up to Christmas Day. Actually there are 19 stories, as the Jubliee story is told in multiple parts. She and her son are kidnapped and imprisoned in the most strange shopping mall every conceived. Jubliee's story is spread out over several days throughout the book. I my opinion, it was the best story of the book. Really, it should have been the only story in the book. Instead we get a series of confounding capers.

For instance, there's Magneto in Poland, where apparently Warsaw has become a war zone. Or he's gone back in time to World War II Poland. I really don't know which.

Other oddities include Wolverine with fire claws?! Captain Britain and Meghan have a toddler who can speak better than most 30 year olds. Speedball is no longer wearing his torturous costume as penance from the events that lead to Civil War. Then there's Nightcrawler wearing a beard and surrounded by elves? And what's with the girl with antlers on her head and I'm not talking about faux ones either!

I realize that I haven't read an X-Men book since right around when Ice Man came out as gay. I didn't stop reading because of some protest. I just haven't been to my local library in a while to catch up on the adventures of the Marvel mutants. I've had plenty of chances to buy new X-Men books. But I feel why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free? Right?

Anyways, a lot of changes have happened to the X-Men in the year or so since I last caught up with the team. I can't say that I am very happy with all the changes.

I like the Advent idea however. If you are a regular reader of this blog, you know that I am all about the Advent. But I think that the entire Marvel universe would have been better suited for this special instead of just the X-Men. There's so many mutants and so many story lines to follow. Some of these short stories build on that drama and if you don't know everything going on with Xavier's gift students, you will miss something. That omission makes for uneven and disappointing reading. 

Featuring art and stories from a number of artists including Chris Sims, Al Ewing, and Chip Zdarsky, this should have been a home run. But the holiday special barely limps into second base. 

It was bound to happen at some point. This is my first not so great read of the 2018 holiday season. The Advent idea of the book is sound and it should be reused next year. But spread the love to all areas of the Marvel Universe. Or maybe just the villains. Next time, just don't focus on one large and yet very self-contained chunk of Marvel's output.

Rating: 5 out of 10 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment