Saturday, July 12, 2014

Daredevil (2011-2014), Volume 6


Daredevil (2011-2014) #HC Vol 6

Yes, I know, I jumped ahead and by quite a bit. When I last left this new Daredevil series, the blind superhero of Hell’s Kitchen had just finished up a battle with Klaw: The Living Master of Sound. Daredevil had also uncovered a cabal of super villain organizations that were working to create a database of the collective secrets of the world’s governments, mega-corporations, and the rich and famous. I think the next issue I needed to read (in order to stay ‘in order’) was issue #11.

Well, I’m reading volume 6 now which starts off with issue #28. So, I’ve missed about a years or more worth of storyline. Foggy Nelson is on disability with cancer, Matt Murdock is on his own and drowning in paperwork and responsibilities as Daredevil, and that cabal I talked about is a thing of the past.

Speaking of the past, it catches up with Murdock when a schoolyard tormentor comes to him for help in a wrongful arrest suit. When Matt agrees to help in makes him and his Daredevil alter-ego the target of a new threat- the white supremacist terror group the Sons of the Serpent. (BTW- this group is not to be confusion with the Serpent Society. That group is a bunch of super villains that employ snakes, have snake-like powers, and serpent codenames. The Sons are a lot like Cobra, just more evil and fonder of white sheets.)

I know I broke my rule against spoilers by jumping ahead. But I couldn’t help myself. This was the next volume my library had plus the volume I found has the MarvelNOW! Imprint on it and I wasn’t sure if this was a continuation of volume 1 or not. (Apparently, Marvel did not reboot the series when they created the MarvelNOW! Imprint. I guess this new series come out too soon to confuse readers with yet another retooling of the series and thus why some volumes say Marvel and later editions say MarvelNOW!) I still want to read issues 11-27 and I will get to them. I was so hooked on the series I just had to read what happened next even if that meant skipping 5 volumes worth of stuff.

The art, though drawn by a different team of artist, continues to innovate and amaze. The color scheme seems to stay bright and vibrant. It’s all perfect. Plus, Mark Waid just keeps taking the Man without Fear to higher and higher levels of awesome. There are some shocking elements in the book and I was hooked on all of it.

Sadly, Volume 6 only has 3’new’ issues. The last 2 issues are taken from Indestructible Hulk. Yes, those issues guess star Daredevil, but they’re already been reprinted in IH Volume 2 and I would’ve liked to read some Daredevil stuff that I had yet to seen prior. Had I bought this instead of checked it out from my library, I would’ve felt gyped. So, be aware of this if you are trying to collect both series in reprint form. It’s a good thing that those 2 issues are excellent and worth a re-read.

Worth Consuming.

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment