Sunday, July 20, 2014

The Property by Rotu Modan

This graphic novel is about a Polish grandma who returns to Warsaw with her granddaughter after the recent death of her son (and granddaughter’s father). Having to move away Palestine (now Israel) during the Nazi invasion of Poland, the granddaughter is under the assumption that they are returning to claim a property that was lost during the occupation. But with the help of a local guide and a lawyer who dabbles in property law, the grandchild learns that there may be more to not only this trip but to her family history.
Regardless of my family history, I think I would have loved this graphic novel. It was educational, sweet, and very funny. There’s lots of great storytelling in this book and I hope it will become a classic one day.
The irony to this review is if I wasn’t married I probably would’ve overlooked this graphic novel. See, I feel like I live this book every day. My wife is half-Jewish and half-Polish. Many of the quips the young woman says in the Property sounds just like her. Then there’s grandma- if that woman isn’t my grandmother-in-law, I will eat my hat. Okay, she’s not Jewish, but she’s Polish and the portrayal of the matriarch is a dead ringer for her.
The art is minimalist but I’m not sure if that is intentional. I know very little of Israeli cartooning/ comics. This is my first foray and I don’t really want to critique the style if that’s indicative of that medium. I liked it, but some folks may think it’s too ‘Sunday Comics’ looking.
Also, this is not a graphic novel for all-ages. There’s nudity, the horrors of Nazi Germany, and just a little bit of strong language innuendo. So, this is probably more for ages 16 and up. However, I liked this comic very much and I will be surprised if it doesn’t achieve a level of acclaim up there with other Middle Eastern and Jewish graphic novels such as Persepolis or MAUS.
Worth Consuming.
Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment