Saturday, July 12, 2014

RIP: a fond farewell.



   Today, the last remaining original member of the punk rock band, the Ramones died today. Tommy Ramone was 62.
    Their heyday started right around 1977, the year I was born. So, naturally, I was a big fan of these guys. "I Wanna Be Sedated" was probably my favorite song, but I was also very keen to one of their more obscure songs- "The KKK Took My Baby Away." Interestingly enough, the song isn't in support of the Klan. In fact, it's a song about how a girl's racism caused the boyfriend to dump her. Who said punk music didn't have a message?
  Anyway, I just wanted to post a small tribute to not only Tommy, but to the band. Members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, as well as Grammy winners, and stars of the off-the-wall but surprisingly tame Roger Corman classic, Rock n' Roll High School- Joey, Tommy, Dee Dee, and Johnny not only rocked our socks off (and make us wanna be sedated) but they inspired the next generation of rock musicians.
Their influence was limitless even if their time on earth was.

No comments:

Post a Comment