Friday, July 25, 2014

Tales Designed to Thrizzle, volume 2


Tales Designed to Thrizzle (2005-2012) #HC Vol 2
In high school, I was a member/ founding member of a couple of guerilla comic troupes. We’d do off the wall stuff like skits, top 10 lists, pratfalls, pranks, and kidnap people’s lunches. The times I spent with my fellow troupe members were the highlight of my school day, unless it was a game day or time for soccer practice. The stuff we did was off-the-wall, odd, and down-right bizarre. I think that’s why I like surrealism and a book like Tales Designed to Thrizzle is about as surreal as it gets.
The book was a short lived and sporadically published Indy comic from 2008-2012. Only 8 issues were ever published and with a $5 price tag and running at about 32 pages a book, I can see why it probably got cancelled. But that doesn’t mean that this book was genius.
Michael Kupperman has a unique art-style that’s part pop art, part retro, part 50s advertisements. This guy could’ve thrived at Sterling, Cooper, and Draper. His renderings of Jack Klugman, Michael Renne, and other famous celebs from the last 50 years are photorealistic. His work is super clean and his color palette is beautiful.
But what makes his stuff so good is the slightly deranged humor. From the adventures of Mark Train and Albert Einstein to a gallery of ‘lesser known’ comic books to parodies of comic book and magazine ads, Kupperman’s stuff is brilliantly weird. In other words, I wish I had thought of it!
There’s at least one more volume out there and I think my library carries it. I hope to get my hands on it soon, because I am hooked on the work of Michael Kupperman and I must get my next fix. If you like humor, absurdity, or parody OR just want to get your hands on some edgy independent comics, I highly recommend Tales Designed to Thrizzle.
Worth Consuming.
Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment