Saturday, July 26, 2014

GI Joe Yearbook #4

I went through my list of comics I still need to review yesterday. I read faster than I have time to type. Anyway, most everything left to review is from the past month. But, I found this little gem that I had read around Christmas and had forgotten to get around to.
In case you forgot, I spend a sizable chunk of time reading the complete Marvel run of GI Joe from the 80s. I included some annuals and yearbooks but I must have forgot this one. I’m not sure how I over looked it.
In this issue, the October Guard and the Joes both have individual covert missions Cobra Island. Their goal is to determine just who actually is in charge of the terrorist organization- the newly armored Cobra Commander (whose actually a clone named Fred) or the mysterious Serpentor. Almost immediately the Joes and the Soviets must join forces if there’s any hope of escaping alive. But, their venture has gotten a little less dangerous as both Serpentor and Cobra commander see this incursion as a chance to off their biggest competitor for the title as Supreme Cobra leader.
This is a very good story with great art and dialogue. Cobra is at its best when they’re slimy and trying to backstab each other. Plus, I don’t know why the October Guard never becomes one with the Joes after the fall of Communism. The two teams work really well together and I think those are some of the best non-Snake Eyes stories in the entire series.
Worth Consuming.
Rating: 10 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment