Saturday, July 5, 2014

Walt Disney’s Goofy Adventures #8



  I like Disney, but I’m not an active collector of Disney comics. I actually find that statement kinda weird because I think the comic books of Disney are American classics and I’ve never really read a bad one. I got this book because of its patriotic theme. Since I collect holiday comics, I thought that this might be an enjoyable read for the July 4th holiday.

Though I read this book on Independence Day, the actions of this book take place in the very patriotic time of Christmas, 1776. Goofy portrays General Washington, who is facing losing his troops at the end of their enlistment on New Year’s Day. The cold and ice of winter has made morale and supplies scarce in the encampment of Valley Forge. Washington and the nation itself very well could lose their bid for Independence if a victory of some sort isn’t soon forthcoming.

With Donald and Mickey portraying real-life aides to Goofy’s Washington, the majority of action in this story is pretty historically accurate. Not bad, Disney, not bad at all!

Including in the comic is a slightly bizarre sci-fi tale about Commander Goofy and his space ship crew in search of food. The jokes for this story are pretty corny and I knew most of what was going to happened pages before- it was that predictable. Saving the book from being an utter failure is Goofy’s history lesson on the film industry. It was a very funny story that reminded me of some of the old Goofy Sports shorts from the 40s and 50s that had a documentary quality to them. Those tales are mostly factual with exception of the punchline. I loved it!

Would I add Goofy Adventures to my wish list? Probably not. But if I found a bunch of them in a bargain bin, you can believe I would snatch them up in a minute. Heck, who I am kidding, I’d pick up just about any Disney comic if the price is right. The stories are well thought out for the most part and the art is of the clean, classic Disney style. Would expect anything less from the House of Mouse?

Worth Consuming.

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment