Sunday, July 6, 2014

Damage Control (Series 1) #1 of 4


Damage Control (1989) #1A

Meet John Porter. It’s his first day as the new accounts executive for Damage Control. It’s his job to find creative yet cost effective ways to repair the damage done after super heroes and villains fight it out. Case in point: a giant robot with Spider-man trapped inside has crashed into the base of a famous Manhattan sky scraper and it’s looking to topple fast. It’s up to John to preserve a New York landmark as well as a friendly neighborhood Spider-man alive or this very well might be his last day as the new accounts executive for Damage Control.

  This ‘sitcom’ style comic by Dwayne McDuffie and Ernie Colon is something I’ve read twice before. I remember reading this as a kid when it first came out in 1989 and then I read it again right before I got married in 1999. I laughed so much during those readings. I liked seeing what the average Joe did when the superheroes were busy elsewhere taking down the next megalomaniac. I think that many these type of story has stuck with me as I often find that the things that happen during a super heroes off hours is more interesting than their battles.

Reading this for a 3rd time was new to me once again. I remember much or the plot but the jokes and art were as fresh to me now as they were both times prior. The art is very good, a little sketchy but humorous at the same time. A fantastic opening chapter for one of my all-time favorite mini-series.

Worth Consuming.

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment