Saturday, December 27, 2014

Force Works #8


Force Works (1994-1996) #8

   I wouldn't have bought this book if I didn't find it in a bargain bin and if it wasn't a holiday themed comic. I've never heard of this comic until now, though a couple of the characters on the cover looked familiar to me- especially Iron Man. Since this is a team that I've never encountered before, I assumed that maybe the Iron Man on the cover was Rhodey and not Tony Stark. But that's not the case.

    The Iron Man on the cover is the real deal original model. So, why's he with this team and not say the Avengers? Well, this comic takes place right after the break-up of the West Coast Avengers (and subsequent cancellation of the series) in 1994. Something happened that caused Tony Stark to dissolve the Pacific branch of the Avengers. Along with Iron Man, the Scarlett Witch, U.S. Agent, and Spider-Woman II gave up their Avengers credentials and formed this team. Marvel Comics of the early to mid-90s is one of my weaker periods of comic book history knowledge and I really don't have a clue what went wrong and caused the end of the Avengers West Coast. But I know from this comic, what I read now has me very intrigued.

   In this issue, the Force Works team hosts a holiday party in hopes of patching things up with the Avengers and members of Stark Enterprises. When an uninvited visitor breaks into the team's headquarters, it's up to the reader to decide if the guest is friend or foe. The reveal was actually pretty cool and it just added to the fire of my interest in learning about this overlooked realm of the Marvel Universe.
 I'm so very glad I didn't pass this book up! You shouldn't either.

   Worth Consuming

   Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment