Friday, December 12, 2014

Garfield #32 (Family Comic Friday)

   
   Just a few days ago I did a search for the new holiday-themed comics for 2014. The results were disappointing. I couldn't find more than 2 dozen books devoted to the holiday season (that includes books that have holiday or Christmas in the title, as well as any books that stories involve the holidays.)

   If you remove the titles that have variant covers or Christmas covers only (and no holiday content inside), that reduces the number to about a dozen 2014 holiday comics. Then remove the books for teens or adults only, I've only found a total of 8 comics that are rated all ages. Archie is the big winner with 4 titles starring the gang from Riverdale, including a digest-sized collection of Archie's favorite holiday adventures. IDW has issued two holiday specials this year, one starring the Angry Birds and My Little Pony being festive in the next. Dynamite released a book called Lil Vampi's Holiday Special. It's all ages but is based on one of the biggest sexpots in the history of horror comics, Vampirella. (and I do mean BIG with pun intended.)

  Title number 8 is the book I reviewed for this week's Family Comic Friday- Garfield #32. Just like the Peanuts book I reviewed two weeks ago, it's published by Kaboom! (AKA Boom! Studios.) In this issue, we've a pair of stories, one of which is a Christmas tale, along with some festive rides, several really cool looking Garfield pin-ups, and a selection of holiday comic strips by Garfield's creator, Jim Davis. 

     The Christmas story involves Garfield, a wayward elf, named Alvin, and a Christmas miracle. The story, by Mark Evanier, was original, fun, and absolutely heartwarming. It was fantastic. I had zero complaints about this episode, and parents and children of all ages shouldn't either. Just why didn't anybody tell me Jon and Liz were now a couple?

     Normally, it would bother me when a holiday comic isn't 100% about the season between Thanksgiving and New Year's. Technically, Garfield #32 isn't a holiday special. While Christmas plays a large part in this issue, the series itself is a monthly title. It also helps that the second story was very funny. It stars Nermal, the World's Cutest Cat. I 'm not really a fan of Nermal, as I find him to be too syrupy. But instead, the little gray kitten's a little feisty, refusing to play the part of Goldilocks. Enter a slew of ninjas, robots, and mutant bunnies as Nermal tries to update the story of the Three Bears for a modern audience.

     I really enjoyed this comic. I was so impressed with it, that when I read the blurb for the next issue, I found myself adding it to my wish list. When an all-ages comic can grab you like that, you know you've found something special. 

   Garfield is currently available in stores and can be ordered online. 

   Worth Consuming.

  Rating: 10 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment